Link bait and link building strategy services in Brighton
- A key factor in achieving search visibility for your business is securing relevant links from other websites.
- One of the best, and safest, ways to do this is by producing compelling content other sites want to link to.
- This content is called link bait.
Sounds good? Then how do you get this stuff?
I’m a Brighton-based content marketer who offers link building strategies. I offer more than 15 years’ experience of helping businesses really say something online. What’s more friendly advice and insightful comments come free with every enquiry!
“The objective is not to ‘make your links appear natural’; the objective is that your links are natural.”
The link building strategy and content marketing crossover
‘I need some website content that works on every level…’
Let me introduce you to link bait. (Don’t worry it’s not as horrible as it sounds.)
It can gain you visitors, links and higher search engine positions. And I can create and promote it for you.
Sounds a bit better now? Good.
The classic definition of link bait is anything that you create to attract links to your website. It could be…
- An evergreen blog post
- A topical article
- A helpful eBook
- A timely video tutorial
- Or an insightful White Paper
Whatever it is it must provide real value for your audience, customers and your industry. It must be the last word, or at least the latest word, on any given topic.
Want to find out how your business could be earning links through content?
Give me a call to find out how well it has worked for others, or read on to get the lowdown.
“When it comes to content and content marketing, you probably want to err on the side of making things SUPER amazing.“
The link bait lowdown: content marketing and SEO link building strategies
No-one outside the Big G knows exactly how Google’s search algorithm works, but the smart money says that roughly 40% of it is accounted for by how other sites link to yours.
This means the more relevant links you have from authority sites, the higher you are likely to appear for your search terms.
So links, in the end, equal visits.
And every website needs those.
Is link bait likely to incur a search penalty?
There is nothing underhand about link bait. It earns you links, it doesn’t buy them. As such it provides the ideal links in the eyes of search engines.
So, link bait is not at all related to jail bait, and here’s what else can be misleading about the term:
- It’s not all about links.
It’s about quality content that your customers will find really useful. It is precisely because it is so useful that other sites link to it.
- It’s not all about the search engines.
Of course links do make your site more important in the eyes of a search engine…
… But having a quality link from a popular site will also help refer visitors directly to your site from theirs.
- It’s not random at all.
The word ‘bait’ may give the impression that this is a rather random ‘throw mud at a wall and see what sticks’ exercise, but nothing could be further from the truth. It’s highly targeted content that achieves specific goals (such as to nail a search term, create traction with a specific audience or build your site’s authority).
Some examples of link bait content
There are two steps to the effective use of link bait.
Creating the content…
…And then promoting it.
So lets’ take a look at some examples of link bait content.
Any great content can be used, as long as you do the research and make it meaningful and useful.
- Breaking news will do it, if you get there first.
- Or you can create your own news with surveys or interviews.
- Widgets and gadgets work (it doesn’t have to be words).
- Quizzes, games and competitions are shared and linked to like wildfire.
- Awards and events (again, it’s not all about words).
- Infographics – you can find out more about these here.
- How to guides, instructions and tutorials need to be either really detailed or really easy to use.
- Lists or curation posts that pull the best information out there together in one accessible place.
- Whitepapers and eBooks, along with other downloadable resources offer something of higher perceived value than a web page (and are a great way to collect leads too).
- Video content – remember it’s not always about words!
Finally, you can browse some examples of link bait I have produced for others.
If this sounds like the sort of thing that could work for you, give me a call and we can start creating powerful links from powerful content.